Dallas, Texas- On August 27 at 10:35 pm Damascus time, the Al- Ghadafa Pediatric and Gynecology Hospital in Maarat Al Nouman, Syria, was hit by four airstrikes and put out of service. The hospital was evacuated earlier and sustained heavy damage. A watchman was injured by the airstrikes and no casualties were reported. In the past 10 days, intense bombing in Maarat Al Nouman has also led to over 200,000 people becoming newly internally displaced. This marks the 48th medical facility to be bombed since April 28.
Dr. Khaula Sawah, Vice President of UOSSM USA said, “It is outrageous that another pediatric hospital was bombed with complete impunity and a deafening silence from the international community. Had the hospital not been evacuated, we could have had a major tragedy yet again. At least 48 medical facilities have been targeted since the end of April. This leaves hundreds of thousands without access to medical services that are desperately needed. We will repeat this, hospitals are not a target, civilians are not a target, schools are not a target. These are all war crimes and the perpetrators must be stopped and held accountable. The 3.5 million civilians of Idlib deserve the right to live and deserve a firm stand by the international community.”
Since April 28, 2019:
- More than 862 civilians have been killed including at least 226 children and 179 women.
- Over 1850 civilians have been injured.
- Over 750,000 people have been internally displaced in North Western Syria.
- At least 48 Medical facilities have been bombed and 30 aid workers have been killed.
- Five ambulances were hit by different airstrikes while serving patients, killing eight staff.
*Numbers are constantly changing due to situation on the ground.