The first doctor has died from COVID-19 in Northern Syria. Please scroll to read the full press release:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
September 10, 2020
BREAKING: First Doctor Dies From COVID-19 in Northern Syria
Dallas, TX – Yesterday, the area of northern Syria lost its first doctor to COVID-19. Dr. Adnan Jasem was working in Al Bab Hospital where he contracted the virus. Dr. Jasem, 58, was on a ventilator, as he lost his battle with the coronavirus.
Dr. Jasem saved countless lives, risking his life in service of others, survived a bombing in his home and was forcibly displaced several times.
The coronavirus made its way late into northwest Syria. As of September 10, there are a total of 170 confirmed cases of COVID-19 and three deaths, eight of which are healthcare workers. UOSSM has been working tirelessly on the ground to stop the spread of the coronavirus with the following measures:
- Establishing and operating community-based isolation centers (CBICs)
- Supporting primary health care centers (PHC’s)
- Sterilization of displacement camps
- Distribution of hygiene kits containing sanitizing and personal care items
- Distribution of nutrition and food baskets
- Establishing a distance-learning center in Afrin
- Distributing educational awareness brochures about COVID-19 in areas of displacement.
- Training medical staff on handling suspected COVID-19 cases
Dr. Khaula Sawah, President of UOSSM USA said, “We are deeply saddened by the tragic death of Dr. Jasem, he risked his life ever day trying to save others. He survived bombings and displacement but unfortunately was unable to survive the deadly coronavirus. We would like to extend our thoughts, prayers and deepest condolences to Dr. Jasem’s family. What a loss to the region.”
For Media Inquiries Please Contact:
UOSSM USA- Director of Public Relations
Since 2012, UOSSM has been providing emergency medical relief and healthcare services to the Syrian people affected by the crisis, working primarily inside Syria and with Syrian refugees in Turkey.
In 2018 UOSSM:
- Provided almost 2.5 million medical services
- Supported 14 primary health care centers and 13 mobile clinics
- Provided nutrition services to over 162,000 people focused on women and children
- Provided Mental Health and Psychosocial Support Services to 110,096 beneficiaries
- UOSSM Bab Al Hawa Hospital provided health care services to over 1 million patients since establishment through the end of 2019
Name: Najah Allouch
Title: Director of Public Relations
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org